Legislative requirements for non-EU citizens

Scientists from outside the EU have to obtain a national D-type visa, also called „no. 13” with "researcher” annotation. It is issued for a maximum one year time period - to perform scientific research or development work. When the stay exceeds one year, it is obligatory to apply for a temporary residence permit, which is issued for a max. of 3 years with a possibility to extend. 

The Hospitality Manager will assist you with completing and submitting the application for a temporary residence permit, as well as other required documents.

Note! Non-EU citizens of countries with which Poland has agreed on visa-free traffic  (visa-free traffic- list of countries)  cannot stay longer than 90 days.  A temporary residence permit is required after that period. Due to the waiting time for a residency permit, which may be extended, it is advisable to apply for a visa before coming to Poland at a consular office or the embassy’s consular department in the consular district of your place of residence. 

Researchers from visa-free traffic countries are allowed to work in Poland starting from the first day of their stay without a visa.

Visa application procedure – national D-type visa with “researcher” annotation, called “no. 13”

What does the national D-type visa entitle you to?

A holder may stay in the territory of Poland throughout its validity. It enables travelling within the Schengen zone for three months every six months, calculated from the date of first entry to the territory of an EU member state and allows you to travel between your home country and Poland.

Where to apply?

You apply for a visa and submit an application in a consular office or the embassy’s consular department only in the consular district of your place of residence. You do it via the e-konsulat system.

First, to apply for a visa, you have to register online at https://secure.ekonsulat.gov.pl.   

Do I have to apply in person?

Visa application form must be submitted in person. The diplomatic mission does not accept application forms sent via fax, regular mail or e-mail.

How to book an appointment?

In order to apply for a visa, please book your appointment via the e-konsulat system.

Remember to apply for a visa no later than two weeks before the planned departure.

What documents do I need to submit? 

  1.  Visa application form filled via the e-konsulat system printed and sign
  2. 3.5 x 4.5 cm colour photo. The photo must be:
    • clear, taken against a white background and printed on quality paper,
    • not older than 6 months,
    • taken from the front, clearly showing the eyes and face from both sides from the top of the head to the top of the shoulders with the face being 70-80% of the photo. No headwear is allowed.
  1. Passport issued within last ten years, valid for at least three months from the expected return date, with at least two blank pages for visas.
  2. Copy of the passport page with personal data and the photo. 
  3. Healthcare insurance is valid across the European Union for less than EUR 30,000. Insurance data stated in your employment contract is enough, and travel medical insurance for at least EUR 30,000 for the time until signing the employment contract, if necessary.
  4. Copy of an ID to confirm legal residence within the consular district of your application.
  5. Proof that you have enough means of support. Data on your salary stated in the employment contract should be enough.
  6. Proof of accommodation (for example, an official invitation or a hotel booking or reservation or NCBJ confirmation of assistance in finding an apartment).
  7. Documents confirming the purpose of your stay in Poland. j.  Visa fee.

Additionally, when applying for a visa for a minor, you must provide: 

    1. written consent of the child’s/minor’s parent(s) to apply for a visa, confirmed by a notary. If there is only one legal guardian, it needs to be proved by a birth certificate, a court decision on exclusive parental custody, or the other parent's death certificate.
    2. originals and copies of parents' passports.
    3. an original and a copy of a birth certificate.
    4. if the child is entered in the parent's or legal guardian’s passport, please submit a separate visa application.  The visa will be pasted into the parent's or the legal guardian's passport.

Please note:    

Usually, the above documents are enough to receive a visa. However, the consul reserves the right to ask for additional documents.

The consul may, but does not have to, invite the applicant for an interview.

Please note that receiving a visa does not guarantee that you will enter Poland - the final decision is always made by the Border Guard.

How much does it cost?

It depends on the consular district of your place of residence, where the Polish Consulate is based. You should check the fee directly on the consulate website and the payment form.

The visa application fee is not refundable regardless of the consul's decision.

The Consulate Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland reserves the right to return incomplete documentation at the applicant's own risk and cost. The fee will not be refunded. 

How long is the waiting time?

The decision on issuing a visa is made within 15 business days from the payment date of the application fee. If the documents need to be examined in more detail, the waiting period may be extended to 30 days. In urgent and justified cases, the decision can be made within three business days.

How to collect the documents?

In-person, during the office hours of the Consulate. Check the hours on their website.

How to appeal?

The applicant may appeal against the decision to refuse/annul/revoke a national visa issued by the consul.

The request for re-examining the visa application should be filed within 14 days from receiving the decision with the consul who gave the said decision.

Re-examination of the application is NOT free of charge. 

Application for the re-examination can be filed during office hours of the Consulate.

List of Polish diplomatic representatives in the world:

Diplomatic representatives

Residence registration procedure – Temporary Residence Permit

 What does the card entitle to?

If you have a residence permit or a national type D visa for scientists issued by another EU Schengen country or you are a citizen of a country Poland has signed a visa-free traffic agreement with. You have a valid travel document (passport), then you are allowed to travel within the territory of the Schengen Area for a period of max. 90 days within every  180 days. Therefore, you can come to Poland for a period of up to 90 days.

Whether you are entitled to work based on your visa or residence permit depends on the purpose for which the document has been issued; for example, you cannot work with a tourist visa. 

This permit entitles you to perform work without the need to obtain an additional work permit. The residence card issued in connection with granting a temporary residence permit has an annotation "access to the labour market" and "scientist".


Suppose your visa or previous residence permit has expired and you are waiting for a new residence permit. In that case, you are not allowed to cross borders within the European Union Schengen area. You are only authorised to go to your home country. Still, then to come back to Poland, you will need to get another visa (if required) in a consular office or the embassy’s consular department in the consular district of your place of residence.

How long is the card issued for?

The residence permit can be issued for a minimum period of 3 months and a maximum period of 3 years, and then you have to apply for a new temporary residence permit.

Where and how to apply?

To obtain a temporary residence card, you must submit an application for a temporary  residence permit (residence card).  You must be present in the Masovian Voivodship Office (MVO) in Warsaw (Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki w Warszawie) at the latest on the last day of your legal stay in Poland.  However, it is highly recommended to apply much earlier due to currently lengthy prolonged procedures. The requirement of submission in person does not apply to minors. 

A complete application with fingerprints can only be submitted during the appointment.

Registration of visits takes place via the online calendar:

Link: https://kolejka-wsc.mazowieckie.pl/rezerwacje/pol

or you can either submit the documents by sending them by mail to the address:

Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki w Warszawie  Wydział Spraw Cudzoziemców  

ul. Marszałkowska 3/5

 00-624 Warszawa

 or at the OFF's Registry office: 

Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki w Warszawie          

pl. Bankowy 3/5,

entrance F from the Al. Solidarności street

In all cases, you will be asked to visit the MVO to leave your fingerprints and present original documents for inspection.

All documents required to be attached to the application need a sworn translation into Polish (except your Passport).

  What documents to submit?

    • 2 copies of a completed application form for a temporary residence permit printed and signed. Here you will find an editable application form:  wniosek do edycji   
    • 2 copies of annexe 4. Here you will find an editable application form:   załącznik nr 4 | wersja edytowalna or  https://www.gov.pl/web/uw-mazowiecki/badacze-inaukowcy-dokumenty
    • employment contract 
    • 4 colour photos with dimensions 45x35 mm. Images must be
        1. taken within the last six months,
        2. clear, taken against a white background and printed on quality paper,
        3. clearly showing the eyes and face on both sides from the top of  the head to the top of the shoulders with the face being 70-80 % of the photo, face looking straight ahead with the mouth closed, not covered by hair and with a natural facial expression,
        4. must be taken without any headwear;
          • a foreigner with congenital or acquired vision defects may attach a photograph wearing shaded glasses. In such a case, documents confirming the disability, and in their absence, a foreigner's declaration of disability must be attached
          • a foreigner wearing headwear according to their religion may attach a photograph in the headwear, provided that the face is fully visible. In such a case, a foreigner's statement of being a part of a religious community must be attached,
    • 2 copies of a valid travel document - passport, issued within the last 10 years, valid for at least 3 months from the expected return date, with at least 2 blank pages for visas (2 copies of all pages, except the blank ones),  
    • lease agreement on the apartment with the landlord's statement regarding the rent costs along with any fixed payments
    • A document is proving health insurance on the territory of Poland.  Data on your insurance stated in your employment contract is enough and travel medical insurance in the amount of at least EUR 30 000,  for the time until signing the employment contract, if necessary,
    • documents confirming sufficient financial resources - it is enough to indicate the remuneration in the employment contract,
    • confirmation of 340 PLN fee payment for the application, with the following annotation in Polish: “opłata skarbowa - wniosek o zezwolenie na pobyt czasowy” 

Bank account: 

Centrum Obsługi Podatnika  ul. Obozowa 57,

                     01-161 Warszawa           

 21 1030 1508 0000 0005 5000 0070   (domestic transfers)

 IBAN:  PL 21 1030 1508 0000 0005 5000 0070  (European transfers)

 SWIFT/BIC: CITIPLPX 21 1030 1508 0000 0005 5000 0070 (worldwide transfers)                 

-      and issuing a payment in the amount of PLN 50 or PLN 25 upon the collection of the residence card,  bank account:

Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki

 Wydział Finansów i Budżetu

 NBP O/O Warszawa


  Note: Original documents must always be presented for inspection!

 Family members

If you apply for a temporary residence permit for your family members (a spouse or a child) you will have to submit the same documents as stated above and, additionally, documents confirming family relationships (marriage certificate, birth certificate) translated into Polish by a sworn translator.

For more information about registration and legalisation of your family member’s stay, please go to: Family member's stay

Obligation to notify the Voivodeship Office

If you change your residence address or if your employment situation changes, for example, you changed your job or you plan to terminate your employment contract earlier or leave Poland, you are obliged to notify the Voivodeship Office within 15 business days following said change.

The employer is obliged to notify the Voivodeship Office of such changes as soon as possible.

Useful links:

For more information on where and how to apply to temporary residence, visit: https://www.gov.pl/web/uw-mazowiecki/gdzie-moge-zlozyc-wniosek-pobyt-czasowy  

More information on the legalisation of your stay in Poland: 


For more information about coronavirus outbreak, special solutions for foreigners and news visit: https://udsc.gov.pl/en/

Official website on the legalisation of stay for researchers: https://udsc.gov.pl/en/cudzoziemcy/obywatele-panstw-trzecich/chce-przedluzyc-swojpobyt-w-polsce/zezwolenie-na-pobyt-czasowy/naukowiec/

Official website for foreigners from outside the EU: https://udsc.gov.pl/en/cudzoziemcy/obywatele-panstw-trzecich/

More info:

http://www.migrant.info.pl/Wizy.html https://www.euraxess.pl